Wile E. Coyote for President?Posted: September 30, 2016 Filed under: election, humor, Politics, writing | Tags: clinton, election, humor, politics, trump 4 Comments
**Every four years, I try to get this guy in the running. Could this be his year?**
Most people would agree that the current candidate landscape for the 2016 presidential election leaves something to be desired. No matter your political leanings, most of us find the major party candidates lacking in some way. We want Hillary to be more transparent. We want Trump to be less of a bully. We want Hillary to be more open with the press. We want Trump to recognize the inherent value of women, minorities, and people who are not exclusively straight, wealthy, Christian, gun-owning, white dudes. But as Trump himself said by way of his convention song: You can’t always get what you want.
It can be a little demoralizing. So sometimes when I need a break from the election coverage, I’ll cruise the channels until I find something less move-to-Canaday. Recently, I settled on Looney Tunes, and as I watched Wile E. Coyote (Carnivorous Vulgaris) launch yet another attack on the Roadrunner, it occurred to me that Mr. Coyote might be exactly what this country needs. After all, he is clever, determined, creative, and has an unparalleled ability to focus on the task at hand. It was like a cartoon light bulb flashed above my head as I thought, “What if Wile E. Coyote threw his hat into the ring?” Everyone talks about how we need a political outsider who hasn’t been corrupted by Washington. And I ask you, who is more of a political outsider than Mr. Wile E. Coyote?
Like Trump (Narcissist Inegns), Wile E. eschews social and political norms and lives life on his terms. Like Hillary (Femina Manipularius), he works his tail off – sometimes literally – in pursuit of his goals. But this scrappy, lovable, underdog (Canis Lupis Inferius) has a few tricks up his sleeve that neither of the current candidates can match. If Wile E. were to become the next President of the United States, we could look forward to a few key changes:
- Revitalized Defense Contracting. Mr. Coyote definitely has some sort of in with the Acme Corporation. Their catalog is filled with exciting and outside the box weaponry that could really add some pizzazz to our military arsenal. They have Dehydrated Boulders, Giant Magnets, Earthquake Pills, Oversized Rubberbands, Spring Rocket Shoes, Building Disintegrators, and Giant Sling Shots (take that, North Korea!). Plus, their turn around time is second to none.
- Superior Problem Solving. Wile E. Coyote has a long tradition of coming up with creative strategies to solve problems. To be fair, so far he’s only had the one problem with the bird, but still. His resourcefulness, if applied to domestic and international issues, could completely revolutionize the way the United States approaches a number of vexing problems. Think, for example, the effect that Wile E.’s long established tactic of painting tunnels on the side of mountains could have on our border problem?
- Taxpayer Savings. No fancy suits or lavish dinner parties required for this guy. His strict clothing optional policy and limited diet would translate into saving untold dollars over the course of his term in office.
- Self-Proclaimed Super Genius. Okay, on this point he is even with Trump.
- Transparency. Private servers and email scandals would be a thing of the past if Wile E. Coyote took office. Under his administration, Mr. Coyote’s ears would tell the American public everything we need to know. Straight up: Things are good. Straight down: Things are bad. Burned to a crisp: Things are really, really bad.
- No Useless Rhetoric. Wile E. Coyote communicates largely through short messages scrawled on craggy wooden signs. Americans could depend on Mr. Coyote to be direct, succinct, and to the point. And wouldn’t that be a refreshing change? If nothing else, it would certainly make for fewer awkward debate moments.
- Likability. This is the most superficial, yet oddly essential, qualification that the electorate demands when selecting the future Leader of the Free World. And here Wile E. Coyote has it on lock. Who doesn’t love him? That impish grin, those bushy brows, the way he snickers manically to himself when he thinks he’s come up with a good plan? Charming! His appeal transcends party lines. From the staunchest right wing zealot to the farthest left leaning liberal – everybody roots for Wile E. Coyote to silence that smug “meep-meep,” once and for all. Never mind that his success rate is zero percent, his approval rating would be through the roof.
- Never Say Die Attitude. It’s going to take more than a sluggish economy, astronomical debt, racial unrest, and impending environmental doom to rattle this coyote’s cage. He has proven, time and time again, that he will not back down in the face of insurmountable odds, no matter what the personal risk. Here’s a guy who has been blown up, smashed to smithereens, gored, flattened, shattered, burned, cut in two, and fallen off countless cliffs ending in a puff of smoke, only to rise from the ashes to try, try again. (Actually, on like this point he’s not unlike Hillary.)
- Grit. Wile E. Coyote has it in spades. He has literally never succeeded at any of his plans, but has he given up? Has he closed-up shop and developed a taste for chicken? Nope. He keeps on trying. He continually comes up with new ways to attack the problem, despite the ever-shrinking odds that he will actually be able to realize his dream. And given the current political climate, this may be his single best qualification for the next President of the United States.
So what do you think? Should we start a write-in campaign?
Wile E. Coyote For President!Posted: August 22, 2011 Filed under: humor, Politics | Tags: election, humor, looney tunes, politics 11 Comments
This morning as I watched Looney Tunes with my kids, I found myself contemplating the upcoming presidential election. I came to the conclusion that the two subjects are not as divergent as one might think. As Wile E. Coyote launched yet another unsuccessful attack on the Road Runner, it occurred to me that perhaps Mr. Coyote’s skill set would be better suited in another arena. He is clever, determined, creative, hyper-focused, and a self-proclaimed Super Genius. Sounds like a politician to me.
And then I thought about the current candidate landscape for the 2012 election. In that moment, a small cartoon light bulb flashed into existence above my head: What if Wile E. Coyote were to throw his hat into the ring? Everyone is always talking about how we need a political outsider who hasn’t been corrupted by Washington. And I ask you, who is more of an outsider than Wile E. Coyote?
Now, it’s true that Mr. Coyote’s record is less than stellar regarding his ongoing objective of catching the Road Runner, but I don’t think we can compare catching the Road Runner with being the leader of the free world. That bird is one slippery little devil.
Here are a few things Americans could look forward to if Wile E. Coyote became the next President of the United States.
- Defense contracts with the Acme Corporation. Wile E. definitely has some sort of ‘in’ with the Acme company. Their catalog is filled with exciting and out-of-the-box weaponry that could really jazz up our military arsenal. Imagine what we could do with Dehydrated Boulders, Giant Magnets, Integrator Pistols, Giant Rubber bands, Spring Rocket Shoes, Building Disintegrators, Giant Sling Shots, and the like. Plus, their turn-around time is second to none.
- Creative problem solving. Wile E. Coyote has a long tradition of coming up with creative strategies to solve his problems (really it’s just the one problem –with the bird). But his resourcefulness, if applied to domestic and international issues, could completely revolutionize the United States’ approach to a number of vexing problems. Think, for example, the effect that Wile E.’s long-established tactic of painting tunnels on the side of mountains could have on our border problem?
- Transparency in government. No need for probing investigative journalism to find out what’s going on in his White House. Wile E.’s ears would tell the American public all we need to know. Straight up: Things are good. Straight down: Things are bad. Burned to a crisp: Things are really, really bad.
- No useless rhetoric. Wile E. Coyote communicates largely through short messages crudely scrawled on wooden signs. Americans could depend on Mr. Coyote to be direct, succinct, and to-the-point in all of his communications. Wouldn’t that be a refreshing change?
- A never-say-die attitude. It’s gonna take more than a failing economy, astronomical debt, sky-high unemployment, unpopular foreign wars, and a housing crisis to rattle this coyote’s cage. He has proven time and time again that he will not back down in the face of insurmountable odds, no matter what the personal risk. Here’s a guy who has been blown up, smashed to smithereens, gored, flattened, shattered, burned, cut-in-two, electrocuted, and fallen off countless cliffs ending in a puff of smoke, only to rise from the ashes to try, try again. I think we could all learn a little something about work ethic from this coyote (Hardheadipus Delirius, Appetitis Giganticus, Carniverous Vulgaris, Hungrii Flea Bagius). And I think America could do a lot worse than Wile E. Coyote for President.
All images were downloaded from Photobucket and (I’m sure) are property of Warner Bros.